What is the demand for commercial pilots?
- 637,000 pilots short of demand over the next 20 years.
- 117,000 pilots short of demand in the U.S.
- To fill the need in the U.S., the country must produce 16 commercial pilots a day.
- The U.S. military is currently over 2,000 pilots short of demand.
Why is there a Pilot Shortage?
- Retirement – 42% of current pilots will retire in the next 10 years.
- Pilots must retire at 65 years old.
- No longer a military feeder system from World War 2, Korean War, or Vietnam War.
- Middle Eastern and Asian airlines are luring American pilots.
- Required training has increased from 250 hours to 1,500 hours.
- Number of training hours required has increased cost to become a commercial pilot to $100,000-$150,000. No college loan program or other government assistance available.
Download this PDF to view the training schedule and more information on this program.